Enrollment FAQ’s

General Information

Are you WASC accredited?

Yes, we received our initial WASC accreditation in Spring 2016, which is good until Spring 2019.  In Spring 2019, we go through a process called the “self-study,” which can then result in a one, three, or six year accreditation.

What is iLEAD?

I- International L-Leadership E-Entrepreneurial Development A-Arts D-Design

iLEAD Charter Schools inspire LIFELONG LEARNERS with the skills to lead in the 21st CENTURY. We EMPOWER students to become conscientious, PRINCIPLED LEADERS and citizens of the world. Our programs cultivate CREATIVE THINKING, by offering INDIVIDUALIZED instruction, ACTIVE learning methods and opportunities for SELF-DIRECTED educational experiences.

How does your program work?

We are a hybrid independent study program.  This means we blend elements of in-studio learning along with opportunities for fully independent study days.  Learners attend in-studio courses Monday-Thursday, receiving instruction in California A-G requirements, along with teacher created academic and arts electives, and AP Courses.  Fridays are fully independent study, where learners can either work from home, pursue internships and professional opportunities, or have the option to attend non-credit bearing enrichment/remediation opportunities on campus.


Are graduation requirements the same as college requirements?

No, actually.  These two are not the same thing.  Normally a learner can graduate from high school but be a few courses short of meeting college requirements.  For the UC School system, they have A-G requirements and graduation requirements are often not enough to fulfill A-G requirements. Graduation requirements might include courses that colleges don’t require, such as PE or Health. In addition, many high schools consider a D as a passing grade for graduation requirements.  The UC and CSU system requires a C to make it “count” for college requirements.

How is GPA calculated for a-g courses?

UC’s and CSU’s will only count the grades from  A-G courses, and only from a learner’s sophomore and junior years. During your freshman year you must earn at least a C average however, these grades will not count toward your GPA.  Some colleges will give extra points for Honors, GATE, AP, or IB courses.  So sometimes your GPA for college admissions will be different from the overall GPA on your transcript.

How many courses must my student take each semester in high school?

Students must enroll in a minimum of 5 courses and a maximum of 8.  If they are seniors (12th grade), this rule may be adjusted.

If the student is transferring from another school to iLEAD, how do I know what courses he/she has taken?

Parents should have official transcripts sent directly to iLEAD Enrollment.  They should also request unofficial transcripts from each high school their student(s) attended. The transcripts will help when developing the four-year plan.

If the student transferring to iLEAD was homeschooled and does not have a transcript, what can be done?

This may be handled in two ways: 1) If the student kept records or a portfolio, then he/she may petition the school for credits needed for graduation for core courses. 2) The student may take the SAT II subject matter tests as suggested by the University of California, and based on those grades, may petition for credit from iLEAD.  3) If the student was with a private home study program they should request a transcript from them.

Can my learner take courses at a local community college?

Yes. Parents need to understand that college classes taken while in grades 9-12 are recorded on the student’s permanent college transcript. Please be sure your students is capable of completing a college course. iLEAD leaners must demonstrate their ability to manage community college courses to their administration by always completing quality assignments and providing high quality samples in their studio courses.  Each community college has its own requirements and paperwork, which you will need to acquire from the community college of your choice. If you feel confident in your learner’s ability to complete a college course, complete the enrollment forms.  There will be a form that requires our administrations signature and seal, please give it to the front office at least two weeks before it is due. Contact your local community college for more information.

How many courses can my student take at a community college each semester?

The State of California allows a high school student to take up to 6 college semester units.  So that means a student can get credit for up to 4 classes per year from the local community college.

How do college courses equate for high school?

Each semester of a college course (with a C grade or higher) equates to a full year of a high school course.


Can you guarantee enrollment?

Enrollment is based on a first come, first serve basis, depending on the date a completed application is received.  When we reach capacity, a waiting list will be created and a lottery will be conducted as openings occur.  A student is officially enrolled when the parent AND student have signed a Master Agreement.

What do I need for proof of residency?

Any of the following is acceptable:

(1) Property tax payment receipts.
(2) Rental property contract, lease, or payment receipts.
(3) Utility service contract, statement, or payment receipts. (If phone bill, must be a landline.)
(4) Pay stubs.
(5) Voter registration.
(6) Correspondence from a government agency.
(7) Declaration of residency executed by the parent or legal guardian of a pupil.

I live with a relative or friend so none of the bills are in my name. How do I show Proof of Residency?

Obtain a utility bill from the address you currently reside, along with a letter from the person you are living with stating that you and your child(ren) are living with them, and explain that you have no mail and/or bills in your name.

When does enrollment take place during the year?

We typically begin enrollment in early March. Enrollment closes at the end of February.

My student has an IEP, do you service Special Education students?

Yes.  However, students with IEPs cannot participate in independent study unless it is deemed an appropriate instructional placement in their IEP.  The CDE provides explicit rules regarding the admission of students with IEPs into independent study:

A. Special education students may not participate in independent study unless it is specified as an instructional method in their individualized education program (IEP). EC Section 51745(c)     ….. see more information under Special Education

What is an Individualized Education Plan?

An Individualized Education Plan (IEP) or Program is a mandated part of the education of people who have been deemed to have special education needs. This plan would have been created by your child’s current or previous school.  They should have sent you a copy.  If you do not have one, please contact the school and ask them to send a copy to you.

Must I include an original copy of my child’s birth certificate?

No, a copy of the original will be sufficient.

Where can I get a copy of my child’s immunization records?

You can obtain a copy of immunization records from your child’s physician. Contact the last school your child was enrolled and request a copy of these documents. When you enroll, please fill out your immunization forms COMPLETELY.  Check all necessary boxes and sign all necessary lines.  Incomplete forms will delay enrollment.

I turned in my application, now what?

Your child’s application will be processed, and we will call you if we have any questions or concerns. You will be contacted when your enrollment is complete. The submission of an application does not constitute enrollment.


Does iLEAD send out a newsletter?

Yes we do.  We have a monthly newsletter from the main school that comes out approximately once a month called iLEAD News & World Report.  Then we have a weekly newsletter specific to our Exploration program.  Those are called Monday Messages.  Here is the link to sign up to receive the newsletters and messages.   http://goo.gl/F2fuOu

Is iLEAD on social media?

Yes we are!  Come join us!

Facebook: facebook.com/ileadnoho

Instagram: @ileadnoho